GDG- The Negro President

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 5 19:29:07 CST 2012

Hello.

Since we are discussing the economic impact of slavery, I thought we should
throw out another factor of slavery, Political Power. Thought I would
separate it from the other theads, as I didn't want any thought that I was
linking them in

Slaves were source not only economic power in the south, they were a huge
political power multiplier under the constitution..
The 3.9 million slaves in 1860 would translate into almost 2.4 million
votes, skewing the house of representatives and the electoral college
towards the sklave owning states. Jefferson was called by opponents "The
Negro President" after his electoral victory but popular vote defeat.

It's out there now.

"You win some, you lose some. And then there's that little-known third
category."

Anonymous Losing Amercan Politician circa 2004