GDG- NPS, Slavery and Economies

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 5 15:03:10 CST 2012

Andy-

The distinction is one which Ira Berlin among others use: a society with slaves versus a slave society. As is often pointed out, at the time of the American Revolution, slavery existed in all of the British colonies. By the time of the Constitutional Convention, the process of ending slavery from Pennsylvania on up had begun with Massachusetts already having abolished slavery. The process, while not without controversy, was peaceful and, in most states, gradual. These were societies with slaves. Slavery was just one form of labor. It didn't mean slaves were treated any better but it meant that these societies could end slavery without any great fears of societal disruption or disintegration.

Slave societies, which became the norm in the South, were societies in which slavery was not just a form of labor, it was woven into the fabric of the society. It was even the paradigm for all other relationships with any attack or weakening of slavery was seen as just the first step in a disintegration of all other relationships in a patriarchal society: wife to husband, children to father, etc. and, ultimately, the destruction, probably violent, of society itself. In 1862, Lincoln sponsored serious efforts to federally subsidize loyal slave states ending slavery in their borders. Those states rejected any such compensated emancipation and, ultimately, lost slavery but got no compensation under the 13th Amendment. Southern wealth was built on slavery, particularly in the 1850s as slave prices soared, but, when they said they were fighting for their way of life, they weren't kidding.

Regards,

Margaret