GDG- NPS, Slavery and Economies

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Thu Jan 5 14:32:47 CST 2012

Andy,

The point is the slaves were the same as houses to the slave owners.

Economically, they were, as I pointed out earlier, wealth. No one argues
that. But the wealth was based on slaves.

Socially, they were scared to death that a monster they had created was
about to devour them (of course, the slaves themselves dispelled this
boogeyman when they had a chance to turn contraband. there were no
massacres. they just wanted out of the system.

Watch night is still celebrated in some poarts of the country, I have been
told.