GDG- NPS, Slavery and Economies

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 11:59:27 CST 2012

I have heard two positions on the issue of economics and  slavery.

I have heard that slavery was in decline and on it's way out  by the time
of the Civil War.

Then I have heard that slavery was on the rise in the  1850s.

I lean towards the second.  Cotton was king, until the  war and British
crops in Egypt.  A slave's value then was comparable to the  price of an
automobile today.  A young healthy male was worth the price of  today's luxury
automobile.

If you were a wealthy plantation owner and owned say 100  slaves you were a
millionaire or better.

And one way to bring a misbehaving slave into line was to  threaten to sell
him into the deep south- La, Miss, where the lifespan was  short.

My understanding is that the premier slave markets prior to  the war were
in DC and Alexandria (Why I don't know).  The markets in Alex  were thriving
right up til May 1861.  In fact, it is said that the reason  for the
retrocession of what is now Arlington county back to VA in 1846 was the  law to ban
slave sales in DC, which would have prohibited it in  Alex.

Yes- economics and slavery.  Hand in  hand.

In a message dated 1/5/2012 12:45:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,