GDG- NPs & Slavery

Andy Mills amills at jplcreative.com
Thu Jan 5 11:53:58 CST 2012

However:  Germany was already fighting a two-front war and not interested in bringing in another participant.

Lincoln in April 1861 was not fighting a two front war and wasn't fighting any war.  Provocation was in Lincoln's interests.  As Otto von Bismarck would say "Make the other side declare war on you" so you have what appears to be the moral justification for going to war.  Lincoln needed this as the North wouldn't support a war to bring the South back into the Union until an act of aggression against the US occurred.  Had there been no Sumter, I am hard pressed to believe Lincoln could get enough support to launch a war to suppress the south and bring them back into the fold (remember, a few border states remained loyal until after Lincoln's call for troops).

Germany was already fighting a war and America's entry would only further hinder their ability to conquer Europe.  Losing Iceland and East Africa wasn't worth bringing in another participant.

Much as the Trent Affair later in 1861, it wasn't worth bringing Britain into the war, he backed down as he was already fighting a two front war and didn't need to open another front against a very powerful nation.  The same goes for Germany in 1941.

Thanks,