GDG- NPs & Slavery

John Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 19:48:02 CST 2012

Hi Bob.
I think think the theory of the war of northern aggression goes like this.
South Carolina   claimed to have seceded from the Union. They laid, among other things, claim to Fort Sumter.
Lincoln, in typical Lincoln chicanery manner, sent "The star of the West", an unarmed civilian vessel, to resupply the fort.
The  confederates were compelled to fire on the ship and, ultimately, the fort.
The theory is that Lincoln was fully aware that Lincoln knew that the south would be forced to fire on this act of aggression  cunningly disguised as an unarmed civilian supply ship, thus provoking the war.
This is the theory anyway.
Examining this theory with more credibility than it probably deserves, we can look at other situations where it was presumed that an action by one side or another would inevitably lead to war by the other side.
In WWII in July of 1941 American Marines occupied Iceland, which was designated as one of 38 actions that, if executed, would immediately lead to war with Germany and the United States.
These troops were directed at the order of President Roosevelt, from transit through the Panama Canal to the occupation of east Africa.
The occupation of East Africa was deemed critical to operations in the south Atlantic in the of war with Germany. This occupation in Africa was also on the "Germany Will Go To War" list.
Despite the fact that America willingly occupied a country on the "Go to War" list, Germany did not declare war on the United States.
In fact, Germany did not declare war on the United States until after the United States declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor, as Butler felt the Axis treaty required.

Any intimation that Lincoln's Western Star attempt was a knowing, deceitful act of war is ridiculous.

There was no "Northern aggression".
Only another South Carolina intelligentsia act of arrogance.