GDG- NPS & slavery

ATMackeyJr at aol.com ATMackeyJr at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 20:55:00 CST 2012

Thank you for your very kind words.  I agree that the full story needs  to
be told, and it appears to me that the NPS is well on the way to doing this
at Gettysburg.  I am the last person who would want to ignore the military
story.

We tend to think of things in very simple terms.  For example, "North"  and
"South" in the war.  Those are very simplistic in that the "South"  doesn't
take into account all the southerners who fought for the Union, the four
southern states that remained loyal, or the 4 million African Americans
living  in the seceded states.  The "North" doesn't include those who "went
South"  or those who opposed the war and Lincoln's policies in the North, nor
does it  include the Far West, such as California.  When we speak of
"southerners,"  we're usually talking about white southerners in the seceded states,
surely a  subset of all southerners.

A very human thing.

Best Regards,
Al Mackey

In a message dated 1/4/2012 11:00:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,