GDG- Beyond the Pale

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 16:30:43 CST 2012

I always thot it had to do with ale.

Dang!  Another good story I can't use any  more.

In a message dated 1/4/2012 5:19:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
georgeconnell at mac.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
Jack,

I was taught that the expression  referred to the line in Tsarist
Russia/Ukraine/Poland/Belarus (depending on  ever-shifting boarders) beyond which
Jews had to live. Did those Commies lie  to me? Inconceivable!

Regards,

George
26ª11'56"N    81ª48'19W"

On Jan 4, 2012, at 3:36 PM, Jack Lawrence wrote:

>  Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
>

>> Esteemed GDG  Member Contributes:
> > Subject: Re: GDG- NPS &  Slavery
>>

>> To expect or require the NPS to  instruct visitors to Gettysburg about
the
>> causes of the CW to the  detriment of what actually took place there,
seems
>> to me to be  beyond the pale.  I realize that this is a minority opinion
 on
>> this board, but it is what it is.
>>

>  Hello.
>
> I would suggest that the study the battle without  understanding the
cause of the battle both reduces and denigrates the battle  to the level of a
spectator sport. More like football where the players  die.

> Just my opinion.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jack
>
> The term "beyond the pale" originated from a  line of demarcation used
during the years of British dominion in Ireland.  Things on the other side of
the line were 'beyond the pale".

>  In common usage today, it is used to designate speech or behavior that
is  outside normal civility, including lewd or vulgar acts or speech.