GDG- In Defense of Peter

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 15:38:35 CST 2012

Well thanks again George.

I guess I owe you a bowl of chili also.  Damn... and I am  trying to save
money, too.

As a tour guide I don't believe some much in "educating"   unless there is
some particular follow-up interest in a topic.

I prefer the word- not that I am completely comfortable with  it-
"interpreting".

The NPS should make indepth information and resources  available but
basically should just stick with the facts and present them with  the proper
priority and proportion.

I can sympathize with what good people there are at NPS.   Most of them
mean well.

There is an "existential" problem with "interpreting" the  sites and parks.
 If you are going to "present" them to the public you  basically have to
pick and choose, almost capriciously.

A good example is the presentation at the Lincoln Mem.  I  do not know how
long I would go on "lecturing" about it but with school kids I  am usually
wetting my pants about staying on schedule so I try to be  brief.  (We're
normally late when I don't have control of the  tour.)

Some tourguides talk about the face of Jefferson Davis or  Robert E Lee in
the hair on the back of Lincoln's head.  I don't see no  stupid face- just
hair.  Some focus on the fact that there is a typo in the  2nd Inaurg Addr.
on the N wall.  Some say the hands spell A.L. in deaf sign  language.

Really?  ..... So what....

I mention to the kids the 36 column- 36 states in 1865,   48 state names-
48 states in 1922.  The marble.  Then I tell them I  could go on and on
(Which even I get tired of listening to.) but what is  IMPORTANT, what they
should take away from the Memorial is written on the N and  S walls.  How, in the
2nd Inaurg he laid the plans for a peaceful forgiving  resolution to the
end of the war.  How Booth was 20 ft away in the crowd  when he gave the
speech and because he wanted to give the right to   vote to the black soldiers
and the "intelligent negro" Booth assassinated  him.  I tell them that I think
the nation would have been very very  different had he lived.  That it was
probably the most destructive single  act in American history.

Then the Gettysburg Address...  I tell them that the  reason why it is
important is that Lincoln's speech reunited the Northern  resolve and, by use of
the phrase, "dedicate and consecrate"  over and  over, changing it slightly
each time, and thus redefined the nation.  We  went from saying the United
States "ARE"  to the United States  "IS".

That is my beef with the NPS.  The visitors only have so  much time.  The
focus at battlefields and sites should be on what is the  most important.
What the facts are without distortion.

Sometimes I walk up inside the L Mem while my kids are in  there.  When I
see them actually reading the words on the wall I feel  really good and I go
over and praise them.

I remember being 5 years old in 1956 and going to the Lincoln  Memorial.

In a message dated 1/4/2012 4:03:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,