GDG- In Defense of Peter

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 15:04:55 CST 2012

George!    I am SO LOL-ing-

Thank you for your defense.

I'd like to think I don't need defending but I am not smart  enough to keep
my head down.

In a message dated 1/4/2012 4:03:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
georgeconnell at me.com writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
I enter this particular discussion with  considerable reluctance.

Peter's style is, at times, not easy to  defend, but I certainly welcome
his enthusiasm, good cheer, knowledge, and  generally provocative viewpoints.

Moreover, in this particular  discussion I think he raises the interesting
substantive question of what  should be "taught" at our national landmarks.
I don't think any of us would be  happy with an over emphasis on one
particular aspect, but who decides  that?  I accept what Peter says about Arlington
based on his considerable  personal experience and conclude that things may
be out of whack there.

I personally don't care for the presentation at the new Gettysburg
Visitors Center, but accept that other people do. At Gettysburg, I don't want  to
be taught about causes; I want to see as many as possible of the park's  vast
holding and at some level I resent anything that gets in the way.
Unrealistic? Sure. Some context is vital, but we'll never have a VC big enough  to
provide all the context some want and show all the stuff. So what's  the
balance?

I am also a little uncomfortable with the thought that the  NPS needs to
"educate" the American public as opposed to just tell the story  (though I'm
hard pressed to explain the difference). There's an elitist,  Menkinist
undertone here I don't like.

Lastly, Peter has an  almost-shorthand writing style that is unique,
sometimes perplexing, and  occasionally irritating, but it's his and I say lighten
up.

Regards,

George

On Jan 4, 2012, at 1:58 PM,  joadx1 at netscape.net wrote:

> Esteemed GDG Member  Contributes:
> While intended as a light-hearted reply to a  light-hearted attempt to
lower the temperature on this conversation, this  message is indicative of a
certain subtext in your posts to this group.   Since you may actually not be
aware of that subtext, I'll give you some  hints.

> First, in this message you write "Damn that Bill  Cosby," while insisting
that "You can't beat Patsy Cline and Willie   Nelson when chili grease is
dribbling down your chin."

> Now,  the former phrase is intended jocularly and literally, but taken in
a larger  context it sends a message that you may not intend.  Here is that
 context:

> 1.  You insist upon misspelling Abraham  Lincoln's name, even though Ms.
Margaret Blough (who is not only a senior  member and director of this
discussion group but is also about as good an  expert as there is on the
Constitutional history relevant to the Civil War)  has asked you, politely, twice,
to stop doing that because it is  disrespectful.  It is disrespectful.  Why
do you continue doing  that?

> 2. You attribute language and motivations to Abraham  Lincoln that other
senior members and experts on this site (like Mr. Al  Mackey) have
definitively refuted.

> 3.  You insist that  you personally know what is most "important" about
Arlington Cemetery.   That insistence is consistently voiced as a protest of
what you call the  disproportionate attention to black Americans by the NPS.
 As a number of  thoughtful and well-informed messages to this list have
explained, given over  a century of not only ignoring the slave-related part
of the American story  but also of persecuting the freed slaves and their
descendants, the NPS, at  the behest of the elected leaders of this country,
has been trying to redress  the balance.  Your protest of this is part of a
pattern.

>  Within such a context your Bill Cosby/Patsy Cline-Willie Nelson quips
assume a  certain resonance, a resonance that is clearly apparent to a number
of the  contributors to this discussion.

Terlingua