GDG- In Defense of Peter

George Connell georgeconnell at me.com
Wed Jan 4 15:02:26 CST 2012

I enter this particular discussion with considerable reluctance.

Peter's style is, at times, not easy to defend, but I certainly welcome his enthusiasm, good cheer, knowledge, and generally provocative viewpoints.

Moreover, in this particular discussion I think he raises the interesting substantive question of what should be "taught" at our national landmarks. I don't think any of us would be happy with an over emphasis on one particular aspect, but who decides that?  I accept what Peter says about Arlington based on his considerable personal experience and conclude that things may be out of whack there.

I personally don't care for the presentation at the new Gettysburg Visitors Center, but accept that other people do. At Gettysburg, I don't want to be taught about causes; I want to see as many as possible of the park's vast holding and at some level I resent anything that gets in the way. Unrealistic? Sure. Some context is vital, but we'll never have a VC big enough to  provide all the context some want and show all the stuff. So what's the balance?

I am also a little uncomfortable with the thought that the NPS needs to "educate" the American public as opposed to just tell the story (though I'm hard pressed to explain the difference). There's an elitist, Menkinist undertone here I don't like.

Lastly, Peter has an almost-shorthand writing style that is unique, sometimes perplexing, and occasionally irritating, but it's his and I say lighten up.

Regards,

George