GDG- NPS & slavery

CWMHTours at CWMHTours at
Wed Jan 4 14:44:08 CST 2012

Wait a minute!!!!   Look!  There's still dirt  down there!!!!  I can dig
myself even deeper into this hole!!!
Please don't stop me!  I am almost there!  Just one  more spadeful of dirt!
Your  Most Obedient Servant,

In a message dated 1/4/2012 3:37:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
CTJoyce at writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member Contributes:
Forgive me, but for someone who professes to be  "tired of the
...overemphasis on slavery" you certainly seem to be unable  to let the
subject go.  We all get it:  the Arlington Cemetery  Tourmobile tour was,
you think, skewed toward an Afro-American-centric view  of American
History.  Can we move on now?  Do I have to read  about it again, and

-----Original Message-----
From:  gettysburg-bounces at
[mailto:gettysburg-bounces at] On  Behalf Of CWMHTours at
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 3:30  PM
To: gettysburg at
Subject: Re: GDG- NPS &  slavery

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
I must apologize for  failing to adequately communicate.   My fault

The tour script of Tourmobile was overseen by the   NPS.   Every word of

NPS put "spies" on the trams to  ensure that we were doing what  they
wanted.  Actually I don't  have all that much of a problem with being
spied on.

As for being 20  years ago that is a reference when I worked on  a daily
basis at  Tourmobile being overseen by the NPS.

I have mentioned, in my faulty  way, that the phenomenon was  still
occuring.  Last spring I was  standing by the Tourmobile stop at  the
waiting for a  group to return.  A Tourmoblie came up.   Open air.   Heard
the guy
mention Thurgood Marshall in the Supreme Court   section but none of the
Justices or Hyman Rickover.

The  tram stops.  People get off.  People get  on.  Tram pulls  out and he

starts talking.

Over there is Daniel Chappie James,  etc.  Thank God the  next guy was
Richard E Byrd.

I was  standing right in front of Robert Eichelberger.  I  could see  Bull

Halsey and Charles Wilkes.   Wouldn't tourists want  to  see the grave of
man who discovered a whole  continent?  Or the admiral  who sent
over  Tokyo?  Or McArthur's right hand man in WW  II?

They didn't  get mentioned.  Chappie James's 4 stars were  mentioned.
there are 100s of 4-star generals in Arlington who did more   important
things.  Like Eichelberger.

All I know about the  Gettysburg Visitor Center is what people  have told
and what I  have read in publications like Civil War News.   Because of
complaints and criticisms I have heard I have avoided the   place.  I am
tired of the NPS over emphasis on slavery.  I'd  rather  spend my money
on French
Onion Soup at the Dobbin  House.

Your  Most Obedient Servant,

In  a message dated 1/4/2012 2:24:34 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
denlaw at writes:

Esteemed  GDG Member  Contributes:

>My complaint, if you had comprehended it   correctly, is  that in 1992
>worked for the   NPS/Tourmobile  the NPS had  a deliberate program   of
>over-emphasizing African-Americans and slavery  over  other  topics
>that were even
>morre  important.
>Are you  getting that?  If there is a  scale of  "importance" in terms
>people  buried  there then many people who were  not   African-American
>not mentioned because the NPS MANDATED  that   we talk about the lesser
>important Blacks.  We  were   REPRIMANDED if we didn't talk about
>Chappie James  and
>instead  talked about Bull  Halsey and Charles  Wilkes.
>And the same  program appears to be going on at  the Gettysburg  V.C.

Hi,  Peter,

I think part of the  reason you are getting blowback  on this is
that you are talking  about a training that is almost 20 years  ago and
then saying the  same thing is going on at Gettysburg.  It all  comes
across as a  sweeping generalization based on your experience that is
not  connected to Gettysburg, almost 20 years later, and ignoring the
fact that GNMP  is operating under  a specific federal  mandate  of
interpretation, not tourmobile rules.

The training  you had does  sound misguided, but what evidence do you
have there is  any connection to  the presentation at Gettysburg? Are
you privy to  training or details of  the presentation at Gettysburg
that you can  share?

Take   Care

-to unsubscribe  for   Archives

.com  -to unsubscribe for  Archives