GDG- Chilli in DC

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 14:04:39 CST 2012

Well I have certainly been taken to the woodshed-

Response:

1.  Abraham Lincoln.  I will spell it that way in  the future.  My last
name is MacNeill and no one spells it right.   Doesn't bother me.

2.  I would like to see some specific instances.  I  didn't know that if
someone refutes my stand on a topic that I was obligated to  change my view to
that of the refutation.  I am in here both to learn and  be entertained.
Hopefully I can make a contribution or two.

    I don't make up my views on things out  of whole cloth.  Been
interested in history all my long life.  Have  done tours from Williamsburg up to
Gettysburg out to Cumberland.  I think I  actually have learned a little bit.

    My question to you is what is wrong  with holding a particular view
even if it is refuted?  Maybe I am stupid  and obtuse and need more
information.  Maybe I was not convinced by the  refutation.

    And so what if I am refuted?   We're not all in lockstep here.

     I actually do change my opinion on  occasion when new facts justify it.

3.  Did you spend a year working for Tourmobile in  Arlington Cemetery?
No...  But I did...  Maybe I know something  you don't.  Maybe I saw it over
and over, and until the recent demise of  Tourmobile, have still seen it.

4.  Bill Cosby.    Are you really  making an issue out of this?  Hard to
believe.

    To give you some background, for most  of my 40 years in DC whenever
Bill Cosby comes to the White House or Kennedy  Center he always talks on the
TV news and newspapers about going to Ben's Chili  Bowl on U St.  Concierges
(Who must not have gone there.) tell tourists  Bill Cosby recommends Ben's
Chili Bowl.  You don't hear people talk about  Ben's without mentioning Bill
Cosby and when people hear about Bill coming to  town they start talking
about Ben's.  The 2 are inseparable in this  town.

    And it is lousy chili.  It's like  ketchup with a little ground beef
thrown in.  You could probly get better  chili at any other restaurant on U
St.  Or out of a can.

    And I know where the good stuff  is.

    The Bill Cosby was a reference for  people familiar with DC and have
heard about him and Ben's.  John Grim has  probly heard about Bill Cosby and
Ben's.

    I can't believe you are making an  issue of this.

    The Hard Times Chili Cafes are a local  chain  full of funky ambience.
nothing fancy.  Most of them have  juke boxes with great music on them.
Chuck Berry, Rolling Stones, blues,  and country/western.  I have been going
to them since the 70s.

    So what is your problem with Patsy  Cline and Willie Nelson?  If you
don't like their music then play something  else on the juke box.

    But I never get to hear much Patsy  Cline and Willie Nelson and I like
playing them on the jukebox while eating  Terlingua chili and cornbread.  I
was in Alexandria 2 weeks ago doing  that.

I look forward to going back again.

In a message dated 1/4/2012 1:59:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,