GDG- NPS & Slavery

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 13:31:44 CST 2012

Thank you, Tom.

My sentiment exactly.

You said it well.

The American public is, generally, pretty ignorant of things  and issues
that effect them.  Too busy playing video games and going to the  Mall and
Walmart.

You know,...   most, if not all, of my tours with  African-Americans
generally was filled with blacks who didn't know their own  history.

And, being an old white dude could make it even harder trying  to cover the
topics.  Had a group get mad on Lafayette Square because they  wanted to
hear about Black history at the White House.  Naturally being a  W, DC
historian my first topic was  how black slaves built the White House  and with
Irish stone masons.  Boy they didn't want to hear about  slaves.  I prefer to
describe tour stuff chronologically so why not start  at the beginning.

Why, I don't know.  If I was a black person and knew it  was blacks who
built the place I think I'd be proud.

The way it worked was that in the large cities like DC  there were whites
who owned slaves and rented them out as a temporary  labor company.  They did
the hauling and lifting.  Irish stone masons  cut and placed the stones.
Despite the wishes of the  Anti-Catholics.

They wanted to hear about a LOT of Black History in the White  House.

You know what?  There isn't much.  Blacks in the  White House were
relegated to assisting white butlers and maids.  I don't  even think they ever had
black cooks in the kitchen until Truman.  Just  dishwashers.

I immediately switched to Condaleeza Rice (Thank God for her  being
around.) and Colin Powell.  Got me off the hook.

But Blacks having any significant role in the White House not  much
happened til post-WW II.

Here's a story:  In 1950 (?) Harry Truman was living  in Blair House
because the White House was, quite literally, falling down,  having never been
rehabbed in the old part since 1814/15.  Margaret  Truman's piano like was
dropping thru the floor upstairs.  Plaster dust was  falling down and they
finally noticed the piano was about to drop  thru.

For years the piano sat in Blair Mansion restaurant in Silver  Spring where
I worked parttime.  We loved telling the story of how it was  the piano
that almost got Harry Truman assassinated.  (The Zeender family  loved telling
how Harry Truman would tryst with Talula Bankhead there.)   (Place was
haunted too.  Both myself and another guy were shoved in the  upstairs hallway.
There used to be a lot of knocking on doors and you'd go  answer it and no
one there.  Aggravating.)

Anyway, I had this group of young very intelligent  African-American kids
(jr?) high school-ish from Brooklyn.  I told the  story outside Blair House
of the 2 Puerto Rican NATIONALISTS who attempted to enter Blair House to
assassinate H.T.  There was a  gun battle in the street and both were mortally
wounded, as was Leslie  Coffelt of the Uniformed Branch of the Secret Service.

Later on the bus a dz got up in the back and complained that I  was rascist
because I described the gunmen as "Puerto Rican" as if that was some  kind
of slur.  They were VERY ANGRY.  Had to remind them that I  emphasized, like
above, that they were Nationalists trying to get independence  for Puerto
Rico and since they were Puerto Ricans trying to free Puerto  Rico  that it
was not rascist to call them Puerto Ricans.

[Puerto Rican secession?  How come we never talk about  that in here?]

O well.

No one knows the trouble I've seen.

You know...,  I have never met a person from Puerto Rico  who objected to
being called Puerto Rican.

I  am constantly surprised at the many Black people who  don't have much of
an understanding of the history and dynamics of  slavery.  If I were A.-A.
I think I'd learn up on it real  fast.

FOOT NOTE;  One time I was in Arl Cem looking for the  sons of Longstreet
who are buried by the Conf, sect.  Had books etc in my  hand and not looking
where I was going.  Almost fell over the grave stone  of Leslie Coffelt.
There he was, big as life.  Pretty amazing.   George Greene did that to me too
over at his grave.  Didn't even know he  was in Arlington.  I like George
Green.  Probly ate chili,  too.

In a message dated 1/4/2012 1:43:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,