GDG- Polically Correct

Tom Barrett tbarrett21 at cox.net
Wed Jan 4 13:02:38 CST 2012

I've tried to stay out of this discussion.

I could take either side...both sides have merit.

But you make a good point there.  The political correctness you are
referring to is not unlike Affirmative Action...technically a fine concept,
except that in practice it often goes wrong and results in unintended
reverse racism.

"The Battle" has many back stories, one of which is slavery.  As long as the
back stories are kept in proportion to their relevance to the primary
subject, I'm happy. (The Battle really wasn't fought to drive off the
hunters of escaped slaves - but the very existence of slavery was certainly
one of the root causes of the conflict which led to The Battle.)

Same goes for Arlington.  Keep things in proportion.  People visiting the
gravesites of their WW II family members aren't there to hear about the
history of slavery on the land - but giving some background on the history
of the land shouldn't be a problem - in the right proportion to the subject
at hand!

Regards,

TB