GDG- NPS & slavery

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 11:14:53 CST 2012

OK Al-

YOU tell me about the 200 slaves living at  Arlington Cemetery.

If you want to be an expert and complain then you step up to  the plate and
tell me all about the 200 slaves.

I only know about two of them specifically.  One whose  name, I think, was
Selena was a "house  slave".  A servant of Mary C  Lee.  She stayed behind
when Mary went south and tried to keep the Yankees  from destroying the
mansion when they occupied the place.  Oddly enough, I  haven't heard of where
she is buried.  Haven't heard that she is buried in  the cemetery.

The other is a slave named, I think, John.  He was born  on the plantation
and is buried in it.  Over by the Seneca Creek sandstone  wall next to Ft
Myer where there is no gravel road.

That's about all I know.

What can you tell us?  Do you have a true anecdote I can  use next time I
take a tour group there?

The slaves at Arlington, like slaves all over this country,  have a story
that is, for the most part, LOST.

I am not aware of anyone writing a book on the story of the  slaves at Arl
Cem.

And if you care so much then how many times have you walked  through the
section of 500 Freedmen buried in their segregated  section?

How many times have you taken groups of African-Americans,  adults and
students, through Arlington Cem and explained their own history to  them?  You
try it if you want to criticize me.

Why don't you tell  us the story of the Freedmans Village  that used to be
on the Cem.  It was at sect 10 & 25 but it was  moved.  Tell us why.

What happened to the Village?  What is the relationship  between the
Village and the cem section?  What happened at the  Village?  Where did the people
go when it was shut down and they were  evicted?

I know all that stuff.  But you tell us about  it.

I've done 100s of African-American tours.  I talk a lot  about the slaves
in the Cem when I have black groups.  I point the two  Gen B O Davis's from
Tuskeegee and Chappie James.  I walk them through the  Buffalo Soldier
section.  Do you even know where that is?

My complaint, if you had comprehended it correctly, is  that in 1992 when I
worked for the NPS/Tourmobile  the NPS had  a deliberate program of
over-emphasizing African-Americans and slavery  over other topics that were even
morre important.

Are you getting that?  If there is a scale of  "importance" in terms of the
people buried  there then many people who were  not African-American were
not mentioned because the NPS MANDATED that  we talk about the lesser
important Blacks.  We were  REPRIMANDED if we didn't talk about Chappie James and
instead talked about Bull  Halsey and Charles Wilkes.

And the same program appears to be going on at the Gettysburg  V.C.

200 people?  Yes- that sounds important to me.  That  they were slaves?
Yes, that should be talked about.

How about the other 250,000-300,000?  Aren't they  important too?  Tell us
who Michael Blassie is and what happened to  him.  Tell us about Commander
Bruce Van Voorhees.  What did he do to  earn the Congressional Medal of Honor?

We would be reprimanded if we did not mention the new black  woman who got
on the Tomb Guard for the Unknown.  But talk about Van  Voorhees?  NPS
didn't care.  Bruce Van Voorhees was a REAL AMERICAN  HERO who sacrificed himself
to save others.  I'd rather tell his story  than the first black female
Tomb Guard.  They should have made a movie  about him.

There was nothing in their script about, Asians, Latinos and  American
Indians.  I think the story of Ira Hayes is great.

But not in the NPS manual.  Why?

Yes, 200 people were slaves.  Do you think we should  spend the WHOLE TIME
talking about them at the deletion of the  others?

If so, good for you.  Because that is the NPS program at  Arlington.

200 slaves have their place.  They should be talked about  and pointed out.

I think it borders on rascism when the NPS MANDATES that you  talk about
slaves and "relatively obscure" African-Americans in way that takes  up time
you could be using to talk about MORE IMPORTANT PEOPLE.

Yes, I think Bull Halsey, Charles Wilkes, and Bruce Van  Voorhees are more
significant than the first black female Tomb Guard.  I'd  rather talk about
them.

Why wasn't it MANDATED that we also talk about American  Indians, like Ira
Hayes, Latinos and Asians?

You have to getting the message I hope.

Is it finally sinking in?  The NPS places a higher  PRIORITY on slavery and
African-Americans at the expense of other races and  topics.

Dig that?  I've seen it.

Peter

In a message dated 1/4/2012 11:00:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,