GDG- Elizabeth Ann Seton

Tom Ryan pennmardel at mchsi.com
Wed Jan 4 10:32:31 CST 2012

Later this month, I will be giving a talk to our church men's club that will
mention Mother Seton and the nurses from her order in Emmitsburg who served
so courageously at Gettysburg.

Over 600 nuns served as nurses during the war in both North and South.  The
largest group was the Daughters of Charity, Mother Seton's order.

Doctors and hospital administrators preferred nuns over lay nurses, because
the nuns were well organized, industrious, and selfless in their charitable
work.  Lay nurses reportedly tended to be troublesome and less dependable.

Tom Ryan