GDG- NPS & slavery

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 22:14:46 CST 2012

Your ?s:

#1.  To give you some perspective on how many "Civil War  Dead" are buried
in the Cem it is open for debate.

To emphasize that perspective I'll use the analogy of the Viet  Nam Mem.
When it was dedicated in 1982 there were  (supposedly)  58,229 (I think)
names on the wall.

But every few years the NPS adds a few new names of veterans  who died as a
result of lingering wounds, mostly through Agent Orange   cancers.  I think
the # now is at 58,249.

So how many CW veterans buried in the Cem are there because of  CW wounds?

Good question....

A very loose guess of CW dead for me is around 50k.   Maybe 30k?

But how do you define the cause of death?  Plus you have  wives and other
family members.  Plus at the funerals that weird Uncle  Joe who always shows
up drinking too much and no one knows who he is related  to.

The historian, Tom Sherlock, is usually available by  fone.  His focus
usually is on the the ceremonies of the funerals and not  loopy people from the
GDG calling in.

 I think no one knows and my cat always likes his ears  rubbed.

Question # 2. It is 1000s of years old.  I think the  first person buried
there, in the plantation, is along the long staircase  leading from the top
of the hill going to Robert Todd Lincoln.  It is quite  decayed.  The name is
available on Wiki.

In a message dated 1/3/2012 10:47:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,