GDG- NPS & slavery

Stuart Johnson stueypark at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 3 21:29:33 CST 2012

We also forget that the Civil War historian's perspective of the war is hardly the one that should be singly presented at battlefields either. It's all well to study what Gen. Bumbledum's Brigade did, or how many rounds The 2nd Battery Independent City Guards Light Foot Artillery fired or the route the Umpteenth PA took on June 29th.

But we tend to forget that these are arbitrary designations and creations. It's easy to forget that when a monument says a regiment lost 7 men killed, that these were men with parents, wives, children, homes, professions, and hopes. And what it was that caused the drastic change that led these individuals, and hundreds of thousands more, to their deaths.