GDG- NPS & slavery

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 21:22:45 CST 2012

Al-

I hope I recognize your point.  I think I  do.

The problem is that I don't have a day or two or three to  write down all I
know about the story - which does not come close to even  approaching 1% of
the story of Arl Cem.

Plus it is now cold out and my wool socks need darning and my  cat always
wants attention and to be petted.

Pet the cat...

Or write about Arl Cem.

It is a conumdrum.

What do you want to know?

Go online- I doubt that you could read all of it before  springtime and you
would know it more than me in my 20 years of wanderin around  in there.

Very quickly for you-  G Wash, partly thru his military  service, cooling
w/ Lord Fairfax owned most of Nor Va.  W/ the exception  of Alexandria
Arlington Cnty was his.  He actually owned much of W VA  and Ohio.

He died. 1799.  Gave 3 parcels of land to his 2 adopted  grand daughters
and grandson.  I think Arl was some 300 acres.

I think her name was Nelly and she got what is now Tudor Place  in Gtown.
Married into the Peter family and watched the Cap and W House  burn from the
home.  The other g-d got Woodlawn where there is a  famous Frank Lloyd
Wright home that I have never seen.

George Washington Parke Custis, son of John Custis who  died of "camp
fever" in Yorktown during the siege of the Brits, built Arl  House- later
Mansion- as the first memorial to G Wash.  Built the N  1/3 first,  The S sect was
his art studio.  Finally he built the  famous center corridor common in
plantation homes to keep them  cool.

I forget the # of slaves he had when he died.   ...180?  It's on Wiki.

If you want to pay me  some $20-$50 an hour I will go  thru old sources and
double check everything I would tell you so I have  the facts  at my finger
tips as best as I can  confirm.  I would take anywhere from a couple of
days to nearly a week if  you have the time and stamina for it.  If you want to
pay me for my time  and research it might be a good week if you can afford
it.

If you want to focus on the Civil War in the Cem plan on a day  at least as
there is more than enough to cover in that  time.

Make you a deal, Al.  I'll meet you at noon at the Arl  V.C. and take you
out til the close of the Cem at 5-7ish & you buy me a  pitcher of Yuengling
and a bowl of chili at Harrys Saloon on E ST

That will work.  I like Arl.Cem.

In a message dated 1/3/2012 9:06:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,