GDG- NPs & Slavery

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 3 14:58:28 CST 2012

Tom-

Until the end of 1862, preservation of the Union was the sole official US government war objective. By 1863, with the final Emancipation Proclamation in place and Black men not only being allowed to enlist but actually having been in combat as US soldiers, ending slavery was very much a Union war objective. Lincoln continually made it clear that, once these lines were crossed, that he would never be part of going back on them.

The problem with trying to limit or exclude slavery from discussing preservation of the Union is that (1) it misses why the Union was in danger in the first place and (2) it disregards what always was the biggest barrier to any resolution short of total defeat of the rebels and unconditional surrender-what future, if any, would slavery have in a reunited nation. One of the reasons that support of the EP and, later, the 13th Amendment increased even among Unionists who previously couldn't have cared less about the slaves was the growing realization that, so long as the house remained divided between slave and free, the Union would never be secure.

Regards,

Margaret