GDG- Changes in Gettyburg Battlefield thru the years

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 14:55:28 CST 2012

Hi Margaret-

I would agree with you except for the OEOB bldg.  I  really like it

2nd French Empire style.  When it was dedicated in 1888  it had fallen out
of favor as a design.  The architect, who was immensely  proud of his
production, was shocked to find that the public HATED the  building.  There were
condemnations in the newspapers and he received  hatemail.  (You ought to see
what I get from my  ex-girlfriends.)

In fact, the abuse he got caused him to commit suicide some 2  years
afterwards.  His name is on Wiki.

During FDR there were considerations to stripping all the  extra design
stuff off the building and making it a match to the quasi-Geek  Revival style
of the Treasury bldg.

Thank God for WW II.  Just in the nick of  time.

One of my tourist stories I frequently tell is that for years  I have
admired that gray bldg and felt it was a shame it wasn't white  marble.  Drove
past it many years wondrin about that.

Right about 1990 they began painting the top floor of the  building white.
I was elated!

One day I was down at my favorite saloon, Harrys (Best chili  in DC),
sitting at the bar and the guy next me was a Secret Service agent.   (Harrys is
full of FBI, DOJ, and.... IRS)  Told him I was delighted they  were painting
the bldg white, that I always thought it should be white, and  he said they
weren't painting it.  Sandblasting.  All that gray is  urban dirt and acid
rain.

Bottom line is that that was some 20 years ago and they still  haven't
finished the top floor.  I tell the tourists that I figger to be  dead before
they get it done at this rate.

You are right about Jackie.  One shame is that when they  put in the
doorways to the new red brick annexes on Laf SQ. they tore down Dan  Sickles'
house and the Old Clubhouse on the east side where Seward lived and  Philip
Barton Key died.

I love telling the ghost story about P B Key showing up waving  a
handkerchief where the Sickles house was.

Slavery- The Decatur House was a slave market, right there on  Lafayette
Sq.  That gray 2 story section behind it on H St is it.  The  Gadsbys from
Gadsby's Tavern in Alex owned it in I think,  1830s-1840s.   Last place where
Judah P. Benjamin lived before going  south.

Let me know next when you are in town.  We'll got to  Harrys for the chili.
 Yummy.

In a message dated 1/3/2012 2:27:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,