GDG- NPS & slavery

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 14:02:12 CST 2012

Hi Margaret-

I am in complete agreement with you.

I worked for Tourmobile/NPS for one year.  After that I  became free lance
I would go in to GWP Custis, etc., in some depth.  In  fact, when I had
interested adults I would talk with them at  length.

Slavery and African-Americans are critical to the history of  Arl Cem.

I do African-American tours around the area and usually try to  get them up
to Harpers Ferry and other sites.  I actually know stuff about  it and
believe it is very important.

But when you deliberately neglect more important people who  aren't
Afro-American to push one of the lesser important blacks I think that is  a shocking
 distortion of history.

Did you read about my experiences with  Tourmobile?

You would think that the only important people in the cemetery  are slaves
and Afro-Americans according to NPS.  There were other people in  there who
were just as important.

Was my original post about NPS/Tourmobile hooked?

It shed a lot of lite on the Gtysbg V.C.

Examples keep coming back to me.  Here's one:  I can  lecture for 20
minutes on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the 3rd Inf Reg.

In circa 1992 the Tomb Guard accepted the first Black female  sentry.  It
was a big deal.  But there was lots of other  "big deals".  I do remember
that if we DID NOT mention the new  African-American Tomb Guard any NPS spies
would complain to the company and I'd  hear about it.  What about the
Latino's and Asians?  And there were  actually Caucasions around.  Better not talk
about them.

I don't recall the NPS wanting us to emphasize Latino's and  Asians.  I
think there are Navaho code talkers in the cemetery.   Better not talk about
other races-  just slaves.

3 of the Iwo Jima marines are in the cemetery.  Ira Hayes  was a Pima
Indian from Arizona.  He's the one on the outside of the statue  with the poncho
in his belt.

If you were a tourist on the tram wouldn't you want to hear a  word or two
about Ira as you went by his grave?  NPS didn't  care.

Don't get me wrong-  I thought it was a great break  through.  But I'd go
off on the original ceremony in 1921 and the USS  Olympia and the history of
the 3rd Inf (Fot at Gtysbg).  But always had to  stop and talk about the
first female Afro Guard.

This was a pattern all over the cemetery and way out of whack  with the
proportion of other stuff.

And as soon as the new V.C. went up at Gytsbg I started  hearing the same
problem with the NPS and slavery.

In a message dated 1/3/2012 2:19:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,