GDG- NPS & slavery

Margaret D. Blough mdblough1 at comcast.net

I understand your position but, IMO, the NPS also has a responsibility to make sure that events at any historic site are placed into context. As for any discussion of slavery, Arlington House is part of Arlington Cemetery, and slaves were also a major part of the history of that house, including GWP Custis's emancipation of slaves in his will. What stories do you feel are being missed?

I've never been a fan of the 'there are other museums.. ." argument. That always seems to be some other, often unspecified place far from the site in question. It sounds way too much like segregating the topic.

Regards,

Margaret