GDG- Changes in Gettyburg Battlefield thru the years

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Tue Jan 3 13:14:58 CST 2012

Woops!

G-D it!

Don't know why the pooter does that w/out me touching  it.

Anyway.....  Jack!

Some comments on this post:

1:  If you go down to Federal triangle, Constitution and  Penn Ave by 15th
to 6th that was all built except the Reagan bldg pretty much in  the 20s and
30s and if you ask me it sure does look a lot like the fascistic
architecture of Nazi Germany.  Much of it is unattractive if you ask  me.

2:  RE: the 30s.  The Linkn Mem was started in, I  think, 1910-1912.  I
know it was dedicated in 1922.  The Jeff Mem. was  started, I think, 1937, and
dedicated 1943.

3.  Monuments vs. memorials.  They are very  different.  A "monument" is
dedicated to the accomplishments or deeds  of a person.  Thus the Washington
Monument.  G W led us in the Am Rev  and was our first president.  A
"memorial" is dedicated to the memory and  legacy of the person themselves and their
character.  Thus you have the  Jefferson Memorial and the Linkn Memorial.
G W's  memorial is Arlington House.

4.  The Greco-Roman influence on architecture and  statuary predates the
Civil War by over 4 score.  When our Founding Fathers  discovered that G W
didn't want to be our king or emperor they looked around for  alternative
gov't.  They came up with Democracy which was modeled on Greece  and Rome which
is why you see all them hot babes on the statues in flimsy  negligees all
around town.
    My point is that the C W had little to  do with it.  They almost made
the Linkn Mem a pyramid.  Much of the  architectural decisions in DC were
made rather capriciously.

Aren't you glad that I am home today to help you with your  posts?  ;-)  !!!

In a message dated 1/3/2012 8:52:31 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,