GDG- NPS & slavery

John Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 3 11:12:06 CST 2012

Birth of a nation may be the most racist movie ever made. It was a sign of the times that Woodrow Wilson, the last president to be raised in a home containing slaves (and the president who completed segregation of the Federal government) praised it as "History writ with lightning".
In a short talkie in the next decade, Griffith described how be would hide under the kitchen table when his dad went out on Klan rides so he could listen to their stories when they returned.
It was pretty ugly stuff. And it was the heritage of slavery.
And it will remain a (proud?) heritage for those who seek to obscure it.