GDG- NPs & Slavery

Dennis Lawrence denlaw at gojade.org
Tue Jan 3 11:33:28 CST 2012

At 11:23 AM 1/3/2012, you wrote:
>The issue as I understand it in this discussion is what should be presented
>to the public in the introductory material at Gettysburg.  My sense is that
>what is there now is skewed too heavily toward slavery.  My preference is to
>present the battle more in the context of holding the Union together.
>
>Beyond that, the discussion of slavery becomes more than a little esoteric.

Hello,

     This is a different discussion than you have been presenting
where you want to separate slavery from the equation that led to war.

A lot of people have personal preferences on to what extent the
visitor center should present slavery, and I do not have any real
opinion on that beyond the fact that for decades there was no
presentation at all  and that needed to be corrected.

My only interest is on the discussion of whether or not slavery was a
part of the equation that led to war.

  No slavery, no secession  ,  no secession no war.  Those are
unassailable parts of how the war began.

Take Care

Dennis