GDG- NPs & Slavery

Peter Skillman pskillman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 11:19:52 CST 2012

Tom,

A reading of the Constitution binds Lincoln's hands to act.

Again, you do not achieve US citizenship by first being a citizen of a state.  The two citizenships are separate things.  The Constitution says "We the PEOPLE" not "We the STATES".  The states never agreed to it in the first place - there were special ratification conventions held for the people to elect representatives to vote for or against it.  This was done state-to-state for logistical reasons, but the states themselves (i.e. the legislatures and governors) were never involved in the approval of the Constitution.  Therefore the states are not a party to the contract, and thus would have no right to dissolve it.

So, just as a state cannot take away your free speech, they cannot exempt you from other federal laws, rights, and privileges.  "Nullification" doesn't work.  What the seceding states did in effect was take all of their citizens (and especially in the case of the slaves) and kidnap them - claiming that they were no longer subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, and the protections that come with that citizenship.

What was Lincoln supposed to do, exactly?

 - Pete S.