GDG- NPs & Slavery

Peter Skillman pskillman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 10:04:25 CST 2012

Tom,

Not to get off on the secession tangent too much again, but...

The war was about secession.  The south seceded over slavery.  On that we agree, so the root cause of the war was slavery, because it caused what you seem to view as the "real" cause.

Certainly, by the time of Gettysburg, you have the Emancipation Proclamation, so it's pretty easy to make an argument that by the time of Gettysburg, slavery was the "reason" for the war.  I'll go a step further, though.

At the end of the war (within 5 years and as a condition of rejoining the Union) Congress passed the people ratified 3 Constitutional amendments: 13, 14, and 15.  These amendments were meant to ensure that we would not go to war with each other like that ever again.  Where is secession mentioned in those amendments?  If the war was truly ultimately about secession, and you wanted to make sure that the war never happened again, wouldn't you want to pretty clearly spell out that secession was illegal and make the losing side sign off on that fact before you let them back in?

What they ended up codifying and making the "losers" sign off on was that slavery was not allowed AT ALL (in fact, that was the VERY FIRST thing they did), that the rights possessed as US citizens could not be usurped or countermanded unilaterally by the states, and that race and color could not be used to keep people from voting.  All things that were slavery-related.

There is still no mention of secession in the Constitution, leaving some to think that it is OK for states to do, but the fact of the matter is that the states aren't parties to the Constitution.  The Constitution begins "We the people..." NOT "We the states..."  The states have no more right to claim their citizens are exempt from it (they can't take away your freedom of speech, for example as that is a US citizen's right) than the power company has the right to exempt you from paying your phone bill.  Your US citizenship and your state citizenship are two separate things.  That was the biggest change from the old Articles of Confederation.

 - Pete S.