GDG- NPs & Slavery

Peter Skillman pskillman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:39:24 CST 2012

Tom,

What are we REALLY talking about here?  The introductory section of a 12-minute movie that goes on to give a decent overview of the battle and ends with a reading of the Gettysburg address?  Hardly a high "degree" of slavery information - even if we're talking about it taking up 1/3 of the film.

It is also a pretty good stretch to say that it is "imposing views" on anyone.  YOU made the choice to go to Gettysburg, YOU made the choice to go to the VC, and YOU made the choice to view the movie and museum.  Agree or disagree as you wish - at least it starts a conversation and gets you thinking about it.

If you'd rather just grab a book and head out onto the field, you can order from Amazon beforehand and drive right out onto the park - there isn't even a ticket-taker or anything.  Heck you could even just show up believing in Sgt. Kilrain and head straight to LRT and Devil's Den only for the view, and not learn anything at all.  No one will stop you.  No one will impose any kind of corrections to your misconceptions.

Besides, everyone knows that the only "imposition" involved with the movie is the price.

 - Pete