GDG- NPS & slavery

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at
Tue Jan 3 07:36:22 CST 2012

We understand that Margaret.

The issue is that since slavery is never was discussed, people are oblivious
to the fact that the "rich history" of the entire country is like a mighty
river with 60% of the flow below the river bed. Slavery is that part of the

I truly believe that, with the diversity of this country, Gettysburg is on
the cusp of a Valley Forge-a really nice place to bicycle and jog. The way
to prevent that is to attract the diversity, and the way to do that is talk
about the entire history.
The deliberate repression of history is the biggest danger the park could
face. Latschar recognized that.

----- Original Message -----
From: <mdblough1 at>
To: "GDG" <gettysburg at>
Sent: Monday, January 02, 2012 11:22 PM
Subject: Re: GDG- NPS & slavery

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
Well, I consider the reason WHY the CW dead in Arlington are there & why
Arlington isn't just another stop on the plantation house tours to be of
considerable significance.

From: CWMHTours at
Sender: gettysburg-bounces at
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 22:13:51
To: <gettysburg at>

Esteemed GDG Member Contributes:
So over 1/4 million people buried in Arlington and the big  story is about

Give me a break.

Your  Most Obedient Servant,

In a message dated 1/2/2012 8:49:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,