GDG- Changes in Gettyburg Battlefield thru the years

Jack Lawrence jlawrence at kc.rr.com
Mon Jan 2 17:26:22 CST 2012

There were, of course, a lot of opponents to the new VC interpretation, as
we all noted aat the time.

There were also people who resented the destruction of local business in the
persona of the National tower, and more significantly, Steinwere Avenue
business when the VC was moved.Tthere were people he decried the removal of
the "historic" old VC and there is still the issue of the "architecturally"
significant Cyclorama building. There are people who resented Dr. Latschar
not agreeing to statues to there own personal statue on the field.

There are people upset over the destruction of artillery sites adjacent to
the new VC.

There are people who decry his failure to preserve local underground
railroad sites.

Ad naseum.

In short, he ticked off a lot of people.

It was not just the interpretation.

It was years of denying the lilliputians that nailed Dr. Latschar , coupled
with a personal quirk.