GDG- NPS & slavery

CWMHTours at aol.com CWMHTours at aol.com
Mon Jan 2 16:45:37 CST 2012

RE:  The emphasize on slavery and emancipation at  battlefields sites it is
not just the battlefields.

In 1992 I began as a tourguide working as a narrator on the  Tourmobile
Trams in Wash, DC.  There was, to me anyway, a rather bizarre  over-emphasis on
slavery on the tours.

In particular Arlington Cemetery demanded that in our "script"  that we
make "X" number of references to slavery and  African-Americans.

Tourmobile was a contracted service vendor to the NPS which  dictated the
content of T's tours.

I really have no objection at all to making such  references.  But
currently Afro-African Americans are 10%-15% of the  population and they deserve
appropriate attention.

But if you ask me I think the proportion was way out of whack  when it came
to the issue.

And most citizens know almost nothing of the history of the  cemetery and
the plantation.

I am convinced IMO that there was less emphasis on George  Washington, for
example, and his descendents there that there should have  been while slave
and African-Americans were over-emphasized.

There were plenty of other things there that could have been  mentioned.
Had not slavery and A-A's been emphasized I think all things  considered much
more important stuff was omitted while we talked about slavery  and A-A's.
Take the issue of race out of it and they were topics far less  important
than other things.

I can't imagine how many people visit Arl Cem for a dose of  slave history
but it must be practically none.

Where the motivation for this emphasis comes from I don't  know.  But then
again I have learned to be no admirer of the  NPS.

I have never been in the VC at Gtysbg.  I have heard  about the emphasis on
slavery in there and have avoided the place.

Who in their right mind comes to Gettysburg to learn about  slavery?