GDG- Changes in Gettyburg Battlefield thru the years

joadx1 at netscape.net joadx1 at netscape.net
Mon Jan 2 15:21:49 CST 2012

 I've never been to Gettysburg, but I am aware that the real reason so many people were so keen to get rid of the last park director was precisely because he would not cooperate with the pretense that somehow the Battle of Gettysburg was a battle co-fought by Americans who equally deserve honor for it.  But it was Lincoln who explained what the battle was about: a new birth of freedom.  And the slave owning, African-kidnapping soldiers of the ANV who were looting American farms in a military invasion of Pennsylvania were not fighting for what Lincoln was talking about.

Now, before anyone responds that the armies of the United States were "invading" the south, let it be remembered that the southern states never did successfully form an independent nation.  The confederacy was never recognized by anyone (except, perhaps, Maximillian, who is the exception who would prove the rule), thus it never was a nation in law.  I could declare myself an independent nation but that wouldn't make me one unless I got official recognition.  The military actions of the United States were carefully declared by the president as follows:

"Whereas the laws of the United States have been for some time past, and now are opposed, and the execution thereof obstructed, in the States of South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas, by combinations too powerful to be suppressed by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings, or by the powers vested in the Marshals by law,

Now therefore, I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, in virtue of the power in me vested by the Constitution, and the laws, have thought fit to call forth, and hereby do call forth, the militia of the several States of the Union, to the aggregate number of seventy-five thousand, in order to suppress said combinations, and to cause the laws to be duly executed."

This proclamation was worded with extreme legal care, and its significance was that as far as the government of the United States was concerned, there was no southern nation.  That judgment could have been overturned by military victory, but that is the whole point of the Battle of Gettysburg: the forces of the United States won the battle (and war) against the states in military rebellion, a rebellion whose "cornerstone" (cf. Alexander Stevens) was slavery.

Hence, the inclusion of slavery in displays at the military park.